Friday, April 22, 2011

Sustenance: SoHo's Kitchen

So it's Good Friday and I don't cook any meat besides fish starting from today until Easter Monday. I woke up this morning feeling groovy so I thought I'd make a traditional Jamaican breakfast for my family. Ackee and saltfish is one of my favourite dishes so here's how you do it:

Ingredients:
2 plum tomatoes
1 medium onion
1 clove of garlic
1 scotch bonnet pepper
Fresh thyme
Salted codfish
A pinch of salt and pepper
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil

Dice 2 plum tomatoes, a medium onion and chop the garlic and 1/5 of a scotch bonnet pepper very finely. You'll also need a few sprigs of fresh thyme.


Boil the codfish approximately 5 times to draw out the salt.  I use about a piece equivalent to the size of a slice of bread.


Once it's been boiled, separate the bones and skin and throw them out. Put aside the remaining fish.


Open the tin of ackee and rinse them in a strainer.


Sauté the vegetables in vegetable oil until they become soft also adding the salt and pepper, then add the ackee and saltfish. Cover and simmer stirring every so often for about 15 minutes. 


Voila! We like to eat with buttered Jamaican hardo bread :)


2 comments:

  1. I will try this recipe as we love ackee and saltfish. Know any good oxtail recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude i'm the unofficial oxtail queen! instead of Christmas presents, i give oxtail :) i'll email you the recipe since it's classified, i can't have perps. i will however give you a one time exception :)

    ReplyDelete